Termites including PRE|POST termite treatment
Based on SAQA Unit Standards:
- Apply safety, health and environmental principles and procedures in a workplace
- Explaining, Applying, Exercising safety, health and environmental requirements in a workplace
- Control Subterranean termite in structures
- Identify the presence of subterranean termites in structures
- Prepare to apply pest control measures to subterranean termites
- Conduct subterranean termite control procedures according to legislative and operational requirements
- Implement safety procedures when carrying out subterranean termite control procedures
- Apply problem solving techniques to make a decision or solve a problem in a real life context
- Distinguish between problems, challenges and matters requiring a decision
- Investigate techniques for solving problems and making decisions
- Identify a problem in a real life context
- Apply a problem solving process or technique to propose a possible solution or make a decision
The Application of Termiticides for the protection of buildings
What the course is all about
In this course attention is given to the classes of soil insecticides and the equipment used for the application thereof for the control of subterranean termites.
We give directives for the effective application of soil insecticides to building sites to protect buildings that are to be erected on the sites and to existing buildings (other than wooden structures in contact with the ground) against subterranean wood-destroying termites.
Guidance is given on the precautions to be taken when soil insecticides are handles and the actions to be taken in the event of contamination are described.
By the end of this course you should be able to:
Understand the various classes of chemicals used in termite control and the advantages and disadvantages.
Know the basic types of equipment used in termite control and how they function.
Know the basic types of building foundation and soil types.
Understand the techniques used to treat soil for control of subterranean termites.
Know the various types of pre- and post- construction methods for controlling termites.
Know the techniques uses to treat subterranean termite infestation for various types of building construction.
Understand how cracks and voids in foundations are treated to control subterranean termites.
Understand how termite entry points vary, depending on factors such as foundation type, walls and flooring.
Know how to calculate linear metres and square metres and to interpret a temiticide label so that the right amount of termiticide will be applied in both vertical and horizontal treatments.